American Ingenuity has found the following to be the best approach when talking to insurance companies:
- When the insurance person asks “What are the walls built of?” Reply, “Steel reinforced concrete.”
- When the insurance person asks, “What is the roof made of?” Reply, “Steel reinforced concrete.”
Due to the Hurricanes very few companies are selling Florida builder’s insurance and Florida homeowners insurance. Florida Dome Owners can purchase insurance through the Florida Residential Causality Joint Association at 1-800-524-9023 or visit Citizens Property Insurance Corporation. Citizens Property Insurance Corporation is the State’s homeowners’ insurance safety net. It was created by the Legislature in 2002 to offer property coverage to Floridians without private insurance options.
The State of Florida requires Insurance Companies to offer reduced rates to homes that have high wind mitigation features. The American Ingenuity dome meets and exceeds these requirements. One of our client’s hurricane insurance premium went from $850 to $90 after he had his dome inspected and a Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form was completed by a Qualified Inspector or Certified Builder.
The Insurance Information Institute’s web site www.iii.org has a feature where you can find the names of insurance companies in your state. Their web site tool allows consumers to select the state in which they live and the type of insurance they are looking for. It provides a random listing of insurance companies in their state.
Another helpful web site, maintained by the State of Florida, is ShopandCompareRates.
The following are the names of insurance companies that have insured American Ingenuity Domes in the past or were considering insuring our domes. Bear in mind that the companies could have changed their minds or changed ownership and might no longer insure domes. If you have any updated information about other insurance companies or these companies, please email us by clicking on Contact Us.
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation for Florida Residents
- Citizens Property Insurance Corporation
Federated National: www.fednat.com/home/contact/ Insured an American Ingenuity dome in Florida in 2013. They are located in Sunrise, Florida. In August of 2014 an owner was tentatively approved, then denied. Per the customer part of the denial was due to it being a dome structure. We are unsure of the full circumstances for the denial; if the denial was done on an individual basis or if it is a regional/ countrywide policy practice. Please contact your local Federated National agent for additional clarification.
USF & G
- Insured Ai dome in North Carolina.
PREFERRED RISK HOMEOWNERS
- Insured Ai dome in Des Moines, Iowa 800-217-4176
FARMERS ALLIANCE MUTUAL INS
- Thinking of insuring a dome in Kansas. The agent was Larry Gould, 1122 N. Main St, Mopherson KS 67460-2849; 816-648-1114
- Insured Ai dome in Homestead Florida that went through Hurricane Andrew with no structural damage. The agent was Richard Chorak, 954-963-2044.
- Also All State insured an Ai dome in Ocean Springs Mississippi. The agent was Vernon McHan at 228-388-7223.
STATE FARM INS
- Insured Ai dome in Lakeland Florida. The agent was Jan Butler 863-688-2613. (As of 2/07, State Farm is not taking on any new Florida policies.)
CORNER STONE INS
- Was thinking of insuring a dome. Agent is Gary Walker 804-542-4301 in Richmond, VA.
- Insured Ai dome in Georgia.
- Provided Builder’s Risk to one of our clients in Tennessee.
- Insured Ai dome in North Carolina. Fortner Insurance Co 828-682-2147. Hanover also does Builders Risk Insurance during the construction phase.
UNIVERSAL PROPERTY & CASUALTY INSURANCE
- Insured Ai dome in Florida. Agency is in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. 800-425-9113
USAA (Have to be present or past member of the military before you can be a member of USAA)
- Insured Ai dome in Melbourne Florida 800-531-8111. Currently USAA is not issuing home insurance in Florida. But they set up a special agency that can possibly locate a insurance company to insure the dome.
Blankenship & Associates Insurance Services. The following quote came from Dia Blankenship in January 2011:
- I want to confirm that I have reviewed the underwriting manual for farm owner’s policies and geodesic domes are eligible for either a farm or hobby farm policy. (An application must be submitted prior to binding, but binding can usually be accomplished within 24 hours once all of the required documentation is submitted.)
- My agency writes farm coverage in 11 states across the mid-Atlantic region (including Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennesee, Virginia and West Virginia), so I’d be happy to assist any of American Ingenuity’s customers who may be having difficulty finding insurance coverage in those areas.
- We have also earned the Nationwide Agribusiness On Your Side Farm Certification, which requires extensive additional training about farm products so we can provide superior service to Ai’s clients.
- A farm policy often provides better coverage than a homeowner’s contract because rural homeowners may need coverage for detached outbuildings, equipment such as tractors and or ATV’s, or non-building structures such as well pumps or free standing wind turbines which we can add to the policy to cover each individual’s needs.
- For info contact Dia Blankenship, P&C Manager, Certified Farm Specialist at 866-326-1461